Thursday, September 18, 2008

My new house

Lauren and I have bought a new house. It settles at the end of the month. I can't wait. As soon as it settles I want the plumber and floor sander in. The bathroom is getting replaced and the floors stripped and polished. We probably should put up a new fence as well - the current one is riddled with (thankfully now dead) white ants.

So, after listing the bad things, these are the things that made us choose to buy it.
  1. It's on a corner block and we love corner blocks - two street frontage, only two neighbours to worry about and, even if the land isn't large, it feels it. It's actually 809m2 so it is a big block.
  2. It's a post war house and we love that era.
  3. It's in a nice quiet area close to the river (but not so close it'll be easily flooded).
  4. It's close to transport (a bus stop just next door, rail and freeway into Brisbane less than 1km away).
  5. It's in a city that is slated to boom in the next ten years so rental potential is good.
  6. It's in good condition but needs a bit of work so value-adding is easy.

I love the whole process of buying a house although waiting for finance approval can be a bit nerve wracking when you're working to a deadline. Planning renovations is brilliant.

One thing I have been worrying about is the financial situation in the US. It's going to impact on us, that's for sure. I keep telling myself all we have to do is be able to hold onto the house long enough for prices to go back up and the economy to stabalise again. Neither of us have extended ourselves financially - at least, even though we both owe more than we ever have before it's still within reasonable limits - so it shouldn't be a problem. I just have to keep working for a bit longer than I'd hoped.



If you want to have a closer look, click here.

1 comment:

Danielle Birch said...

Its such a cute house, I love it.
But why on earth would you want to remove that gorgeous pink bath tub. Hehehe.