Thursday, January 29, 2009

Routine return

I've been on holiday. I finished my masters, finished work for the year, got through Christmas with the family and then shut down.

Completely.

I basically spent three weeks sitting in bed reading books. I'm half way through number 35 of my tbr pile and am only now beginning to look for something else to do.

The focus has now become 'Life after Study'. What do I do with the 30 hours a week I've spent studying for the past three years? So far, the answer is 'not much'.

Of course that can't continue. I'll get very irritated with myself if I spend an entire year not achieving anything. Especially if it means I notice how untidy the house is and have to CLEAN! ::horrors:: So here's the plan:

  1. I've joined a gym so I can get a bit more active.
  2. I'm going to begin writing again. I've totally lost the routine of writing every day, or even thinking writing every day. I have to work at getting it back.
  3. As soon as I get past the usual beginning-of-year bills I'm going to enrol in some writing workshops. Hopefully nos 2 and 3 will mean I get another book finished, a couple of entries sent into competitions and at least one book edited to a stage where I can send it somewhere.
  4. I'm going to start research so I can write an application to begin my PhD next year.

That, with work and family, will probably keep me busy for a while. Anything as long as I don't have to do housework or watch tv.

No comments: