Friday, April 20, 2007

Team Terrors Mark II

I gave it another day or two. The optimist hasn't spoken to me since my last post - smart optimist.

To give the update: I met with my team partner yesterday. Her two weeks reading constituted four articles and a one page diagram which was her notes. I even worked out why she was basically uncontactable for two weeks. In her head, 'next week' means the week after next. I'll remember that for next time and be more specific.

There I go again - the masochist in me saying there'll be a next time.

I've spent most of last night and today doing research she should have done already. I've emailed her a list of about twenty resources to locate and read although I'm surprised she wasn't able to find anything herself. It is a masters course, after all. I haven't heard anything from her since the meeting, even after I asked her to make sure she checks her email at least once a day while we're working on this assignment and to keep in touch.

I don't think she gets it. I really think in her head she thinks she's working well. I don't think she has a clue what constitutes an efficiently operating team. And I think she has selective hearing. I don't know how much clearer I could have been at our meeting yesterday. Most people would know that when I say "Check your email often and keep me updated on where you're at" that that would at least mean to respond to my emails. Isn't that a reasonable thing to assume?

That's it. I give up. I've been doing the reading for myself and accept there's a possibility I'll have to finish the assignment by myself. If I had known that from the beginning I'd be much further along than I am now and my writing wouldn't be so disjointed because I'm distracted and cranky.

And that ever-present damned optimist is still sitting there reassuring me that these difficulties don't occur with every team. Next time will be better.

No comments: